Sunday, September 20, 2015

Solar Powered ATM's Deliver Clean Drinking Water










Link:




Analysis:

I think that this is a very useful tool to provide Solar-powered ATMs that dispense clean water when a smart card is scanned. Users are issued a card they can use to claim a daily share of water. The machine is designed to help the government cut water waste and ensure people have access to clean water. According to Jawad Abbasi, a program manager at IPAL, "The innovative machines will help the government maintain a record of the exact quantity of clean drinking water being dispensed in a day in a specific locality, besides ensuring its quality,"

Although I think it is a great initiative for combating water shortages, I wonder if this is only a band-aid type of solution. We are addressing the need for clean drinking water but it doesn’t solve the issue of depleting water aquifers. What happens when they run dry? I also think that it can lead to a corporation rush to control these ATM’s. I also would like to know more about how they come up with the algorithms to measure an appropriate amount of water needed, versus their actual supply. Don’t get me wrong, I think it is a great idea, but I do not think this is the limit to all we can do for areas like the Punjab providence.

    “The Bullet answers”

1.     The global impact, national impact, and local / personal impact. 

Globally, I believe that this will provide a means to provide clean drinkable water to all countries that have a shortage of drinkable water.  Nationally, it’s great for the countries because it provides a means of hope and boosts morale and health. Locally, I think there should be fundraisers to provide more of these ATMs to areas in need. I think that it has the potential to bring communities together, as well as bridge the gap between those who are poor and people with more wealth.


2.     Forecast the range of impact over the short term (the next 2 months to 2 years), to the long term (next 20 years to 20 + decades).

In the short term, I think that it is providing a means to a basic need in a temporary manner. I am most concerned because if we continue with business as usual, we are depleting our shallow aquifers and fossil aquifers. I think that this is the real problem. It is a great idea, but this needs to be one support system, not a permanent solution to water pollution effecting its drinkability.

3.     What could you do, or could be done to create the greatest positive impact on the future.”
By giving a wider range of people access to water, people will live longer, healthier lives. It could improve the quality of life for many people. This is an issue of equity and this is a simple way to ensure more people have clean drinking water.


4.     What could you do, or could be done to create the greatest negative impact on the future.
By not being mindful of my own waste and how it affects the water table can, and will, greatly affect the outcome of our water supply. I think another negative result of this type of venture is that it allows corporations to own the rights to water, like Coca Cola in India. In my perspective, it is a slippery slope, because they can dictate who and how much water a person can have. It a scary thought because if water became a worldwide currency, I think that would cause chaos.

5.     Which region of the future” does this related closest most to or does this fit in between – or perhaps a region of the future you’d like to define for yourself.

Human Tech, Bio Tech, Super tech.


Questions For Class:

What are other possible means to providing clean water?
How does this change humanitarian efforts, does it get enough water to all those in need?
Do you think corporations will be likely to invest and make these machines, ultimately controlling who gets water and the amounts?

2 comments:

  1. You can use a system that pulls water out of the air that is run on solar power this way the units can be placed anywhere and be self sufficient. Link them to a pad that can determine weight along with a camera to determine height and based off body mass. Use fingerprints to capture per individual and have all the info linked via the cloud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daren, first of all, I am going to follow your lead on the abstract painting approach. Even though I am a painter, it is so counter-intuitive for me to express such heady concepts in a painting (not to say I do not do any research for my paintings either.) As far as the blog goes, good info here. I think it supports the evidence that, somehow, water needs to be rationed in order to avoid waste and level the playing field for those who do not have access to water. Interesting addition by Scott, too. Although we do not want any institution dictating what we can and can't do to every extent, I think his solution may be a good way to ration a precious commodity that is essential for all. It might prevent waste and level the playing field for those who can't otherwise do so on their own.

    ReplyDelete

Just keeping things on the up and up since this is for my students to communicate first.